Implementing information technology solutions in a complex and ever-changing organisational environment is never easy.
The challenges inherent in information management projects mean that new approaches need to be taken, if they are to succeed.
The also outline a pragmatic, step-by-step approach to implementing solutions that starts with addressing key needs and building support for further initiatives. A focus on adoption then ensures that staff actually use the solutions that are deployed.
Ten key principles to ensure that information management activities are effective and successful
1. Recognise (and manage) complexity
2. Focus on adoption
3. Deliver tangible & visible benefits
4. Prioritise according to business needs
5. Take a journey of a thousand steps
6. Provide strong leadership
7. Mitigate risks
8. Communicate extensively
9. Aim to deliver a seamless user experience
10. Choose the first project very carefully